COVID-19 UPDATE: March 23, 2020
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, Groot has made adjustments to refuse and recycling collection. These changes are being made to protect the health and welfare of employees and the public. Services may further be modified as the situation evolves. Please continue to check the Village website and social media pages for updates.
The following changes are effective March 23, 2020:
- All trash/ refuse must be placed in a company-designated cart, a can with handles, or bagged.
- Recycling must be placed in a company-designated cart. Loose, unsecure items will not be collected.
- All bulky/ construction debris collection is suspended until further notice.
- All white goods/ e-waste collection is suspended until further notice.
- The Spring Cleanup event has been postponed and will be rescheduled.
- At this time, yard waste and recycling services are unaffected; however, we anticipate changes in the future.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Questions about services can be directed to Groot at 800-244-1977.
Groot Industries, Inc.
The Village of Mundelein has an exclusive residential solid waste collection and recycling agreement with Groot Industries, Inc.
Under this agreement, residents are provided a 95-gallon cart for garbage collection and a 65-gallon cart for recycling. Garbage, recycling, and landscape waste will be picked up once a week. Landscape waste is collected from April 1 to November 30.
Different trucks collect the three types of materials—garbage, recyclables, and landscape waste. The solid waste contract provides five collection options: unlimited collection, limited collection, senior unlimited collection (65+), senior limited collection (65+), or pay by the bag collection. The details of each option are noted below. Refuse and recycling carts should be placed four feet apart at the curbside to facilitate automatic collection. Automatic collection allows faster service, which helps to keep collection costs down.
2019-2020 Rates (effective October 1, 2019)
- Unlimited Curb: $22.92
- Senior Curb (65+): $20.63
- Limited Curb: $18.84
- Senior Limited Curb (65+): $16.96
- Recycling Only: $8.01
- Refuse Sticker: $2.70
- Per Unit: $9.30
- Annual Subscription: $108.26
Yard Waste Sticker: $2.70
See below for billing and payment options.
Days and Hours of Collection
Starting time for pickup will commence no earlier than 6 a.m., and end no later than 7 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (holidays excluded) depending on your service area. All materials must be placed curbside at your residence between 6 p.m. the evening before and 6 a.m. on the day of collection.
Curbside Leaf Collection
The Village's annual leaf collection program begins in October and runs (weather permitting) until the beginning of December. Please note that the leaf collection may end sooner if all leaves are collected. Residents should remember to rake leaves onto the parkway grass next to curb. Leaves should not be raked into the roadway or cover any storm sewer inlets/catch basins. After the leaf curbside collection has ended, the next opportunity to dispose of leaves would be via normal yard waste collection procedures which begin in spring (April 1st).
While electronic materials are not permitted in landfills, Groot now collects electronic waste at the curb at no additional charge. Residents wishing to recycle such items should call Groot to schedule a date and time for collection.
Billing and Payment Options
Groot bills customers for services on a quarterly basis in January, April, July, and October each year. Residents may pay online at www.groot.com utilizing two options:
- Online Bill Payment Program: You must register as a user. You will receive a User ID and password to log into your account. You can then make payments to your account using either a checking account or credit card.
- Convenient Automatic Payment Program: This program allows you to register your credit card with Groot. Your payment amount will then be charged to your credit card on the appropriate date. Notification of your payment will be emailed to you on the following day.
Residents may also pay through the following options:
- Pay by check using return envelope.
- Pay over the phone with the assistance of a customer service representative at 877- 404-7668.
- Use the convenient payment box at Ace Hardware, 609 East Hawley St.