"Go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something." --Kurt Vonnegut
The Arts Commission consists of eleven (11) members, all of whom are appointed by the Mayor of the Village of Mundelein. The Village is always seeking individuals to serve on the Mundelein Arts Commission who have some personal, professional, or academic experience within a genre of the cultural, visual, or performing arts. This includes, but is not limited to: drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, photography, video, filmmaking, architecture, fashion, music, theater, poetry, or dance. For those individuals without a background in the arts, professional marketing experience may be substituted to meet the preferred qualifications. Members of the Commission must be residents of the Village, a business owner in Mundelein, or an employee of a business in Mundelein.
- Joyce Lee, Chair
- Justin Frieman Charles
- Sue Esson
- Kristen Hansel
- Jeff Justman
- Stacee Kalmanovsky
- Stan Kirschner
- Gail Smith
- Aurelia Spicuzza
- Lindsey Oaks
- David White
Village Staff Liaison
Colleen Malec - Village Planner
Municipal Code Book
The Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) is now seeking sponsors for their upcoming summer 2020 public art project: Stars on Parade! The concept was made popular by the 1999 "Cows on Parade" exhibit in Chicago, IL, and has since been replicated in communities nationwide, some regional examples including Batavia, Linconshire, Oak Lawn, Algonquin, Naperville, Aurora, and more. The MAC has commissioned a series of 15 blank fiberglass sculptures in a shape resembling the Mundelein star logo, which will be "adopted" by local businesses, organizations, or individuals. Each star will be painted or decorated by a local artist, who will be matched with a star's sponsor. The "Stars" will be sprayed with a durable topcoat and displayed outdoors throughout Downtown Mundelein for 3-5 years (or longer if the stars' condition allows!).
The star sculptures are constructed of fiberglass with a custom-made mold, and mounted on a steel base. The MAC is currently seeking sponsors to "adopt" each star. Fifteen artwork proposals and locations were selected by the MAC, which sponsors will be able to choose between. Both the artist and the sponsor will have their name engraved on a plaque at the base of the star.
To "adopt" a star:
Click here to download the application packet.
To "Adopt" a Star: Applications to sponsor a star are due at 5:00 p.m. on May 5, 2020. There are two options to adopt a star:
1. $500 – 15 Stars available at this level (these 15 are “subsidized” by the MAC). Fifteen spots available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Sponsor and artist names will be engraved on a plaque at the base of the star.
- Sponsors may select from a map of 15 pre-selected locations at outdoor, high-traffic locations in Downtown Mundelein. There is no guarantee that a specific spot will be available.
- Sponsors may select from a list of 15 artists that have been pre-selected by the MAC. The artwork proposal period is now closed and the 15 selected artists are currently working on their pieces.
- Star will be auctioned off after display is ended (estimated to be 3-5 years based on durability of topcoat).
2. Fully funded by sponsor (unlimited available at this level) - Price will range from $1,100 - $1,600, depending on number ordered.
- Unlimited spots at this level are available.
- Sponsor owns the star in its entirety and may display it on their own private property as long as desired (or on another property with the permission of that property owner).
- Sponsor may find or hire their own artist and does not need to submit a proposal for approval by the MAC. The MAC can assist by matching the sponsor with an artist if desired.
- These sculptures have not been manufactured yet. The MAC will collect applications for this sponsorship level, and will place an order for all of these sculptures at once. Because the sculptures are not yet manufactured, there will be a delay in their availability.
- A sponsor may elect to fully fund the cost of fabricating a star if they:
- Did not submit a sponsor application in time to get one of the 15 MAC-funded stars, but are still interested;
- Want to display a star on their own property rather than one of the 15 Downtown Mundelein locations;
- Want to keep their star once the display period has ended (the 15 MAC-sponsored stars will be auctioned off); or
- Wants full control over the artwork without submitting a proposal to the MAC.
Contact Colleen Malec at (847) 959-3289 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Mundelein Arts Commission hosts an annual Photography Contest called "This Is Mundelein". The 2020 Photo Contest is now open! The 2020 theme is "Capture the Moment in Mundelein". Photographers and photo enthusiasts are encouraged to use their creativity to capture a visual moment in time. Please review the Rules and Guidelines document prior to submitting (below). The submittal deadline is August 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (CST).
Winning photos will be displayed at the Village Hall. Cash prizes of $50, $30, and $20 will be awarded to first, second, and third place, respectively.
The Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) hosts annual writing contests for anyone that lives or works in Lake County. Each edition of the contest has a different genre or theme. Cash prizes are awarded for all contests. The MAC publishes winners, honorable mentions, and local artwork into a preserved collection available for free called "Mundelein Writes". Anyone interested in the current or future writing contests is encouraged to contact email@example.com for further information. The Fall 2019 contest is now closed! The winners and honorable mentions were recognized at the December 9, 2019 Village Board meeting.
Issues of "Mundelein Writes", which contain winning and honorable mention stories, are available for free at the Village Hall. Digital issues of "Mundelein Writes" can also be downloaded below:
The Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) commissioned a mural in 2018 to celebrate the Mundelein community's history and culture. Each letter of the word “Mundelein” captures an aspect of our vibrant community's culture, history, scenery, and special events. The mural is located at 18 E. Park Street on the side of AREA Coffee, in the heart of Downtown Mundelein. The mural is by artist Pepe Gaka (www.pepegaka.com). The MAC sincerely thanks all of the dedicated volunteers and businesses who helped to ensure the success of this project, including: Park Street Restaurant for generously donating wall space, being enthusiastic and supportive partners, and for suggesting the artwork's theme; AREA General Store for supporting the artist during his time here with space, water, electric outlets, and caffeine; the dedicated volunteers on the Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) who conceived and drove the initiative and oversaw the project; Aurelia Spicuzza, the MAC member who generously opened up her home to the artist for his 16-day stay; and of course, the artist, Giuseppe Percivati or Pepe Gaka, for bringing such a lovely piece of art to Mundelein, Illinois.
Local Artist Directory
The Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) is calling for all local artists to join in their mission to expand access to the arts. To this end, the MAC is preparing a comprehensive listing of local artists within the community—visual, written, video, performance, you name it—to be made available to the public on the Village website. It’s hoped that through this listing, people seeking everything from crafts persons to performers to writers will be able easily locate a nearby professional to meet their needs while keeping business local. In the database, the Mundelein Arts Commission wishes to include both businesses and individuals that pertain to the arts. The goal is simply to compile and disseminate a listing that will provide additional exposure for an arts service or business, allowing the public to easily find someone who can provide for individual artistic needs. Anyone wishing to add their information to the list is invited to fill out the Artist Directory Entry Form. Directory Please return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Mundelein Village Hall.
Got talent? We need you! Attention musicians, poets, authors, actors, comedians, magicians, and storytellers! It is your time to step forward in Mundelein and hear the applause of family, friends, and neighbors. The Mundelein Arts Commission (MAC) organizes a series of Talent Showcase Nights hosted at local businesses to promote music, poetry and literary readings, and the performing arts in the Village of Mundelein. Anyone with talent to share is invited to participate. Talent Showcase Nights are designed to give performance artists of all kinds the opportunity to present their work in a safe, comfortable environment, and get audience feedback as they hone their craft. Many professional performers started at similar open mic events, and consider it a major step toward launching a career in show business.
The April and May Talent Showcase Nights have been cancelled due to COVID-19. Sign-up is in advance - to sign-up for a future MAC Open Mic Night, please contact Jeff Justman of the Mundelein Arts Commission at email@example.com or 847-989-9634.
Arts Commissioners Jeff Justman and Stan Kirschner were interviewed on Vita Verden's Senior Issues, Etc. program:
- Summer Shakespeare Shorts
- Public Art Displays
- Battle of the Bands
- More Photo Contests
- Artwork in Vacant Storefronts
- More to come!