According to the American Red Cross, in terms of donating blood, “The need is constant and the gratification is instant.” The Mundelein Fire Department hosts several blood drives per year. Residents are encouraged to participate in the community blood drives as there is always a great need for blood.
Consider These Facts:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.68 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2016. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
LifeSource is responsible for donor recruitment, blood collection, component manufacturing, testing and product management in our region.
For more information on donating blood, please visit LifeSource: