The Mundelein Fire Prevention Bureau consists of nine specially trained firefighters who conduct life safety inspections to the 1,500 plus commercial and multi-family occupancies within the Village of Mundelein. The Bureau reviews all building plans to ensure adherence to the Village of Mundelein’s Fire Code. The Fire Prevention Bureau's main objective is fire prevention and awareness through a proactive approach to fire and life safety.
This is accomplished through:
- Enforcement of Fire, Building, and the Life Safety Code;
- Investigating fires for cause and origin;
- Fire and life safety inspections;
- Construction and certificate of occupancy inspections;
- Plan review on all new construction;
- Witnessing first-hand the testing of all fire and life safety systems such as fire alarms, emergency lighting, sprinklers, and the like;
- Public education and fire safety awareness programs.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is also responsible for the record keeping of fire reports and the monthly statistical report, State reporting, computer technology for the Fire Department, and responding to citizens inquires and concerns. We also provide public information during and after incidents.
All fires that occur are investigated by State Certified Fire Cause and Origin Specialists. This team receives assistance from the Mundelein Police Department Investigators. If you have any questions you may contact the Fire Prevention Bureau.