Requests for Records
The Freedom of Information Act, 5 ILCS 140 is the Illinois statute governing the inspection and provision of public records. This Act provides for public inspection and copying of records in the possession of the Village of Mundelein. Various exemptions pursuant to 5 ILCS 140/7, in the form of redaction and/or the withholding of records, may apply to a request. The exemptions are utilized to ensure the confidentiality of certain records in compliance with state statute.
Please take a moment to visit the Village's Transparency Page as the records or information you seek may already be available online.
Requests for records must be submitted to the Village in writing. While submission using the Village's FOIA Request Form is not required, it ensures all necessary information is received to process the request more effectively. The request can be mailed, faxed, e-mailed, or delivered in person to the relevant department as described below.
Requests for Village Hall, Fire Department, and Public Works records should be submitted to the Village’s Customer Service Division located at the Mundelein Village Hall, 300 Plaza Circle, faxed to 847-949-0143, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for Police Department records should be submitted to the Mundelein Police Department located at the Marilyn Sindles Public Safety Center, 221 N. Lake Street, faxed to 847-949-3254, or emailed to email@example.com.
For more information, please refer to the Village's FOIA Directory.
The Village will respond to non-commercial requests for records within 5 business days (a business day is Monday through Friday and does not include Saturday, Sunday, or legal holidays). For commercial requests, the Village will respond within 21 business days. Commercial requests are requests where the records requested will be used, in any form, for sale, resale, or solicitation or advertisement for sales or services.
Types of Responses
- Grant the request
- Deny the request
- Notification that the request is voluminous
- Notification that the request is unduly burdensome
- Notification that additional time to respond is necessary
- Grant the request in part and deny the request in part
- Notification that the requested records on not file with the Village
There are no fees for the provision of electronic records unless the request is designated as voluminous. All requests obtained through the Freedom of Information Act requiring hard copies of records shall be subject to the following fees:
- Black and white copies of letter or legal size documents shall be $0.15 per page. No fees shall be charged for the first 50 pages of black and white letter or legal size documents. Double sided pages count as two copies.
- Color copies of letter or legal size documents shall be $0.15 per page.
- Black and white tabloid (11”x17”) size documents shall be $0.15 per page.
- Color tabloid size documents shall be $.16 per page.
- CD – $0.25 each
- Color Zoning Map (2’x3’) – $6.00
- If the Village uses a copy service or other provider to copy requested records, the amount charged to the Village by the copy service to make copies is what will be charged to the customer minus charges for the first 50 pages of letter or legal size black and white documents and under.
- If the Village copies and prints oversized documents (anything larger than 11”x 17”) the cost of these documents shall be $0.15 per square foot.
- Commercial requests may be subject to:
- $10 per hour fee for time spent by personnel (in excess of 8 hours) searching for and retrieving a requested record for those requests.
- Additional fee will be imposed for retrieval of records stored in an off-site facility that is maintained by a third-party storage company under contract with the Village. Requester will be provided with an accounting of all fee costs and personnel hours incurred in connection with their request for public records.
- If a voluminous request is for electronic records and those records are not in a portable document format (PDF), the public body may charge up to $20 for not more than 2 megabytes of data, and up to $100 for more than 4 megabytes of data. If a voluminous request is for electronic records and those records are in a portable document format, the public body may charge up to $20 for not more than 80 megabytes of data, up to $40 for more than 80 megabytes but not more than 160 megabytes of data, and up to $100 for more than 160 megabytes of data. If the responsive electronic records are in both a portable document format and not in a portable document format, the public body may separate the fees and charge the requester under both fee scales.
Peter Vadopalas, Assistant Village Administrator
300 Plaza Circle
Mundelein, IL 60060
Phone: (847) 949-3200
Fax: (847) 949-0143
Eric Guenther, Police Chief
221 North Lake Street
Mundelein, IL 60060
Phone: (847) 968-4600
Fax: (847) 949-3254
Bill Lark, Fire Chief
1000 N. Midlothian Road
Mundelein, IL 60060
Phone: (847) 968-3260
Fax: (847) 949-0410